Having previously shared my journey to Master Certified Coach (MCC) with the International Coaching Federation (ICF), it is my privilege and responsibility to mentor coaches in their journeys.
Having been mentored and mentoring coaches I have experienced how powerful it is in the acceleration of coach development and the impact it has on clients.
The International Coaching Federation (ICF) is the world’s largest organization of professionally trained coaches, with more than 35000 members in 130 countries. There are more than 25000 coaches in 119 countries who hold one of three ICF Credentials:
• Associate Certified Coach (ACC)
• Professional Certified Coach (PCC)
• Master Certified Coach (MCC)
Credentialing candidates for ACC, PCC or MCC with the ICF are required to partner with a Mentor Coach who holds a valid Credential.
According to the ICF website: “Mentor Coaching for an ICF Credential consists of coaching and feedback in a collaborative, appreciative and dialogued process based on an observed or recorded coaching session to increase the coach’s capability in coaching, in alignment with the ICF Core Competencies.
Credentialing candidates for ACC, PCC or MCC must complete 10 hours of Mentor Coaching prior to submitting their application.”
What can happen in Mentor Coaching?
In the Mentor Coaching I facilitate, this is what happens:
- Feedback and mentoring on real-time and/or recorded coaching sessions
- Feedback and mentoring on real-time coaching sessions, you can coach me and we pause for real-time feedback, this experience is deeply valued by participants and leads to a quick learning curve
- one-on one or group mentoring sessions, in a variety of formats, including three way live calls with your private client(s), recorded calls for review and other creative skill building activities
- Support materials, including a session reflection document, you will learn in multiple ways, listening to recordings of experienced coaches and of sessions that have passed ICF evaluation, you will develop an implicit learning of coaching structures and process
- You will become versatile in several coaching styles and we tap into, define and refine your style and strengths so you can use them in coaching and life. Each coach has a particular style, for example, sense of humour, calm and relaxed, inspiring, evocative… You will flourish to your unique Way of Being
- Feedback based on ICF Core Competencies
- Ongoing materials and contact support for life (after the sessions), including new materials and recordings
Some prefer individual mentoring and others like group mentoring. I’ve noticed that the rhythm that often fits, to digest and keep pace is around one session per each 2 weeks.
What is Group Mentoring?
In Group Mentoring I usually work with up to 4 or 6 participants (I have noticed coaches with mentoring groups up to 10 or 12, mostly in ACTP programs) for 7 hours. ICF allows for up to 7 hours to be group mentoring, of the 10 hours total.
Advantages of group coaching include developing together with peers and it can be more economic. Sometimes participants coach each other as part of group mentoring or practice between sessions.
Why to you Mentor Coaches?
This is a question one of my mentees asked. I mentor coaches to share and to learn. I learn from each and every mentee (also with each coachee). Also, to contribute to the coaching profession and it is within my purpose and Way of Being. It is a great joy and rewarding to witnessing development of skills in mentoring and their application in coaching sessions. Fascinating to observe the Way of Being of coaches flourishing.
I’m very grateful to support fellow coaches on their journeys to ACC, PCC and MCC credentials. It’s special for me when my mentees get the ACC, PCC and MCCs. You can see some of testimonials here.
Mentor Coach Duties and Competencies Document -> ICF partnered with the Association of Coach Training Organizations (ACTO) to develop a document outlining the duties, personal traits and competencies of Mentor Coaches.
André Ribeiro is an executive coach, team coach and mentor coach. He is Master Certified Coach by the International Coach Federation and Senior Practitioner by the European Mentoring and Coaching Council.